Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Bread in the Oven (Yes...Bread, not a Bun)

It's baking day...and I must say, the house smells fabulous! By the time you read this it really won't be baking day at all, but you can pretend...and I'll be eating a slice of my newest creation for breakfast :-)

I had a few neglected bananas sitting on the kitchen counter getting themselves all soft and brown. They were just screaming for me to turn them into some sort of yummtastic banana bread.  Gourmet tummy yummy banana bread.  I'm always up for a new recipe or two, so I took a little time and found a lovely little recipe from Angela over at OSG; a new twist on an old-time favorite.  Drumroll, please...and enter Cherry, Banana, Coconut Butter Bread in all it's glory.

Cherry, Banana, Coconut Butter Bread from Oh She Glows
OSG always has GREAT photos to make your mouth water...even before you start prepping the ingredients!

I made a quick Wegmans stop this morning to pick up a few ingredients.  I might have spent just a little more perusing the aisles than I needed to because I <3 grocery shopping (especially if it's one of my favorite stores...yes, I'm a little strange...I can spend a good hour walking the aisles looking for new and exciting products to try)!  After that I had my recipe in hand and the photo above for inspiration...I was set to whip up some yum.  Just before the bread hit the oven I tweaked the original recipe a tad by throwing a handful both sliced almonds and ghirardelli dark chocolate chips into the batter.  What doesn't taste better with a little added chocolate and almonds?  Bananas, cherries, chocolate, and almonds...topped with coconut...YES PLEASE! You don't have to ask me twice!
  

I love, love, love the fact that breads like this are quick & easy to make, freeze well, and are a great option for breakfast on-the-go.  Just slice, wrap, and freeze!  I usually throw a piece or two in my bag on work days.  Oh yeah, forgot to mention the fact that Mike definitely approves, too!  He's a big fan of my experiments in the kitchen and is always willing to be a taste tester :-)

I was ready to sneak a crumb or two the moment this baby came out of the oven...let me tell you, it was difficult to let it sit on the counter and cool.  This was my first attempt at baking with spelt flour and I definitely noticed just a slightly different taste--not sure I can put my finger on exactly what it tastes like, but it was good.  Overall, the bread itself turned out nice and moist, a little crumbly, slightly sweet, mostly hearty, and nicely crispy on the outside.  If you're up for it I'd definitely recommend giving this recipe a try--you won't be disappointed.  Someday soon I'll have to share my favorite go-to bread...Clean Eating's Nutmeg Infused Pumpkin Bread.  That too is amazing...for now, Happy Eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment